Carbon monoxide from fireplace. Depending on the brand detectors operate in one of three ways. Premature failure of the fireplace and chimney. Carbon monoxide or co is an odorless colorless gas that can kill you.
Carbon monoxide tricks the body into thinking it is oxygen. What is carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide poisoning claims about 4000 lives a year in the us and a significant number of these deaths are the result of poorly maintained chimneys.
This is because the protein hemoglobin used by red blood cells to move oxygen through the body actually prefers co to oxygen. Co is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks small engines stoves lanterns grills fireplaces gas ranges or furnaces. How to prevent carbon monoxide co poisoning share this post on.
Your fireplace is often the heart of your living space offering a cozy spot to relax spend time together and enjoy the warmth and beauty of flames. Chimmeys carbon monoxide. What you should know about carbon monoxide in using your fireplace carbon monoxide co is an odorless colorless tasteless gas which is very toxic.
Co can build up indoors and poison people and. When using a fuel burning appliance whether it is a top rated wood burning fireplace premium gas stove or even a gas cooking stove it is important to understand that carbon monoxide co poisoning is a risk. With a biomimetic sensor metal oxide semiconductor or electrochemical sensor.
Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that results from burning different types of materials and gases. Exposures to co can cause symptoms such as headaches dizziness weakness nausea vomiting or loss of muscle control. When it comes to owning a fireplace in addition to the warmth and ambience created there are also safety issues that you should know about with carbon monoxide being top on the list.
All the while actually prohibiting it from carrying oxygen to vital organs like the brain heart and lungs. This device sometimes called a safety pilot automatically shuts the gas off if the temperature in the fireplace gets too cold or if too much carbon monoxide builds up. Insist on having one even if your gas fireplace is vented.